Wednesday, March 26, 2008

This eulogy is not going to be a typical one.... Anna

Needless to say, we are kind of in a fog right now. It still seems unreal that Kurt is actually dead. We cry when we need to, laugh when we can and do our best to function through the basics.

The support we have received from friends, family and complete strangers and everyone in between is uncomprehensible. We are beyond overwhelmed by the cards, letters, gifts, food, emails, blogs, phone calls etc, etc. We cannot begin to express our appreciation to each and every person who has helped us in any way...but we do thank each and every one of you from the bottom of our hearts.

I decided I would like to share with you the eulogy that I wrote and read for Kurt at his funeral.

"This eulogy is not going to be a typical one. I've never been very good at being typical.

Our Kurtis James (don't call me Kurtis) "Kurt" Blake was born quickly, July 27th, 1994 to Jerry and I in Shawano, WI.

He is survived by us, his parents, brother Daniel, sister, Kaisa and dog Sandy; Grandpa Dale Blake, Grampa Don and Gramma Norma Haro of Leesburg, FL. Uncles, aunts, cousins and friends.

To say that Kurt loved to ski is an understatement. He longed for skiing in the summer, sometimes pulling his ski boots out in July, just to wear them around the house. He was only 18 months old the first time he skied.

Kurt loved to entertain people by telling jokes. He was very animated when he was younger but could tell joke with a straight face. He especially liked telling blonde jokes and I tried to discourage that, reminding him that HE was blonde.

Another understatement is to say that Kurt loved sports. He could share stats about most of the players in the NBA, MLB, NFL and even some hockey and soccer players.

Kurt didn't love school, but he worked hard and did well. Math came easy to him and before he was in kindergarten, he was asking me for math problems. When I asked him to add some easy problems, he wanted harder ones. We worked our way up to adding numbers like 1,784 + 392 and before I could punch the numbers into a calculator, he was finished adding them in his head.

More than anything, Kurt loved Jesus. He may not have said much about him to any of you, I don't know.

I do know that he read his Bible most every day.

I also know that he spent time praying for his teachers and friends.

Kurt would want you to know his Jesus.

If you don't, please don't leave this building until you know that you know you will see Kurt again in heaven.

Kurt didn't die because God failed us. My God is NO LESS THAN FAITHFUL.

Several people have told me of dreams or visions that God has given them. These have helped me more than I can say.

One shared that God showed him Kurt asking Grandma Blake (who died in November) if he HAD to go back and she said, "Only if you want to." She always did let Kurt have his way.

When Kurt was little, he loved soccer. Another told me of Kurt in a HUGE green grassy field with a soccer net at one end.

Kurt had the ball, dribbling it down the field with his feet. His opponant was the same size as Kurt and kept up with him every step of the way. But he was wearing a white robe.

Kurt couldn't seem to shake him, so he turned on the speed and those of you who saw him play sports knew he could turn on the speed when he needed to--even if it meant throwing up afterward.

Well, his opponent, (Jesus) was still right next to him; no matter how fast he ran, so Kurt did his little quick stop, kicked the ball back a little, jumped behind it and then kicked it to try and make a goal.

The ball curved out in a big wide arc and headed straight for the goal. But it stopped directly in front of the goal and dropped to the ground.

Kurt looked at Jesus, who said, "You didn't know I had a goalie, did you?" Kurt smiled the biggest smile ever and hugged Jesus and they walked off of the field together.

Thanks for telling me that, Dad, I love you."

anna

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Anna and Steve,

Your strength is a testimony to your faith. Thank you for sharing your love of the Lord during such a difficult time. I have and will continue to pray for you and your family.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

From one mother to another,
Micha

Anonymous said...

Anna,

How you were ever able to get all that out is way beyond my comprehension. I hope sometime in my lifetime I will be able to show others how much my faith has meant to me. You and your family are such an inspiration to all who come in contact with you. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers.

From the other end of the U.P.,

Kimmer and Dave

pakosta said...

Your strength and faith in our Awesome God is going to be the testimony that saves so many others. I pray for your continued strength and that many people will be brought to Christ through Kurt and through you. God bless and hold you all in His loving arms.
I especiallly love the part about soccer with Jesus. Do you know how many teens you could reach with that story?!
Love,
Tara Pollard Pakosta

Anonymous said...

Memorial for Kurt Blake

Dear Friends, Family and all who were touched by the life and death of Kurt,

I am writing to inform you of a memorial that is going to be located at Gitche Gumee Bible Camp in honor of Kurt.

Seeing as Kurt loved to play sports of all kinds, we are going to raise money to purchase a set of bleachers for the baseball diamond area.

Donations will be tax deductible. If you would like to contribute, please send checks with “Kurt Blake Memorial” in the memo to:
Gitche Gumee Bible Camp
5189 Garden City Rd
Eagle River, MI 49950

Please have all donations in by Friday, April 25, 2008.

If you have any questions or suggestions on a company we can use to purchase bleachers please e-mail me at lieffers@hotmail.com with Kurt Blake in the subject.

I will continue to update on our support raised!

Thank you for your support!

Erin Robinson
Friend and fellow GG camper

(Please Post)